A Food Safety Management System should be planned, established, documented and implemented in order to ensure compliance with company, customer, regulatory and statutory requirements. Senior management need to confirm the scope of the Food Safety Management System including product categories, processes and activities conducted on by the organization.
Senior management need to be committed to the food safety management system and establishing and implementing, then fully communicating and supporting company policies, procedures and objectives. Senior management plan, establish, document and implement the food safety management system by:
- Establishing and implementing a Food Safety Policy.
- Communicating and Maintaining the Food Safety Policy.
- Establishing and implementing Food Safety Objectives.
- Communicating and Maintaining the Food Safety Objectives
- Leading and supporting a food safety culture within the site
- Conducting regular pro-active management reviews and communicating outputs.
- Communicating commitment to satisfying customer requirements including food safety, quality and service
- Supporting and planning the development and operation of the Food Safety Management systems.
- Ensuring the food safety management system is maintained when changes are planned and implemented.
- Establishing documentation required for the effective development, implementation and updating of the food safety management system and communicating pertinent information throughout the organization.
- Providing the human and financial resources, and training, to manage the Policies and Objectives effectively.
- Providing the infrastructure and work environment to manage the Policies and Objectives effectively.
- Promoting an ethic of continuous improvement throughout the company.
- Ensuring the strict observation of all food safety system procedures, the use of correct materials and equipment, recording and reporting of both standard and non-standard events and compliance with the company rules.
- Providing the resources to audit the Food Safety Management system effectively.
- Providing the resources necessary for the food safety team to effectively implement a Food Safety HACCP plan.
- Carrying out regular Management Reviews.
- Implementing and maintaining Corrective Action, Preventative Action and Continuous Improvement Plans.
- Communicating effectively throughout the food chain from primary suppliers to end consumers including any relevant food safety information.
- Providing the resource to ensure the company is kept up to date with all industry codes of practice, legislative, scientific and technical information appropriate to the products in the countries of raw material supply, production and product sales.
An effective Food Safety Management System demonstrates due diligence of the company in the effective development and implementation of safe food operations. The Food Safety Management System documents are supported by the completion of specified records for the monitoring of planned activities, maintenance and verification of control measures and by taking effective actions when non-conformity is encountered.